Thursday, July 14, 2011

They Said It: week of July 11

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Agent Joel Segal, who represents free-agent WR Randy Moss, ensuring prospective buyers that his client is going to be an impact player this season:  "Randy has been working out, two-a-days, all spring and summer in West Virginia. He is determined, motivated and quite frankly has a huge chip on his shoulder. Whatever team ends up getting Randy, they're going to know they're getting the old Randy Moss. He's not just coming in to be on the team, he's going to be Randy Moss — a difference maker."

Lions QB Matthew Stafford, discussing his surgically repaired throwing shoulder, as quoted on detnews.com: "Until we put the pads on and the helmets on, I'm not going to feel comfortable again. I know once I do it (put pads on), I'm 100 percent confident in my shoulder. I feel great. It feels as good as it's ever felt and hopefully this thing (settlement) gets done sooner rather than later and we can play football again." Added Stafford on his ascending team: "We did some great things in the draft and hopefully, when free agency opens up, we can add a couple more pieces and really go into this season fully loaded. If we can do that and stay healthy, the sky is the limit for this team. We have a ton of talent on offense and defense, and I'm just excited to get back out there and play the game I love with my teammates."

Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz, quoted on chicagotribune.com on his team being ready to play in the Hall of Fame game on Aug. 7 despite the lockout threatening the opening of training camp: "If we report to camp and they say, 'Tomorrow, you're playing the game,' that'll be plenty." Added Martz: "You don't do game plans for those games, anyway. It's not like a regular-season game at all. There's not a whole lot of game preparation. You look at personnel, things of that nature, and clean things up execution-wise. The preparation for preseason games, particularly the first one, is not real hard."

Cowboys WR Dez Bryant, discussing his maturation, as quoted on dallasnews.com: "Of course, there were problems. And it was some stuff that I didn't understand, that I do understand now, where it could have been a problem, and I feel like they've been taken care of. I really have looked over my past and, like I've said, I'm just ready to go. I've felt like I've matured as a man and I've got my priorities straight. I'm just ready to go out and do my job." Added Bryant on the speculation that he did not know all of the offensive plays last season: "I felt like all those were rumors. The only thing I found was the plays that I know are the plays Roy [Williams] knows. I know the plays Miles [Austin] knows. So I just feel like those were rumors."

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hall of Fame CB Deion Sanders, quoted on aol.sportingnews.com on cutting the cord from Cowboys WR Dez Bryant: "It's hard to talk to a person when they have millions, man, because there is so much noise in their life. Everybody around them is employed and they have 'yes men.' You gotta start hiring a 'no man.' " Added Sanders: "I had to cut my umbilical cord with him because a lot of things people do not know about. I'm trying to open schools and get these kids prepared for the future, and I can't have that on my record saying that: 'How am I going to send my kids to your school, and this is what you are turning out over here?' No, I am not turning that out over there. … I love (Bryant). I see him from time to time. I pray for him, but as a unit we had to separate."

Giants S Antrel Rolle, discussing the time frame after the lockout is lifted for players to get into football shape, as quoted in the New York Post: "I'm in great shape right now. I wouldn't say I'm in great football shape, but I'm in great shape. The only thing that is going to prepare you to get into football shape is actually playing football, so once you get out there with the guys and run around and do a couple of drills and have a little contact. You know what I mean? We have been playing this sport of football for a long time. It's not going to take too long to get back into football shape and maybe a week-and-a-half, two weeks maximum." Added Rolle on the reports that the end of the lockout is nearing: "To be honest with you I have been hearing that it is going to get done in a week, two weeks, ever since the beginning of March, so I'm at the point right now that whenever it happens I'll be ready and whenever I get that call I'll be ready."

Free-agent QB Tarvaris Jackson, quoted on startribune.com on the rumors of another possible comeback from his old teammate, QB Brett Favre: "I think he is [retiring], but I don't know if he thinks he is." Added Jackson: "I ain't got to answer that stuff no more. Last year was kind of expected that Brett was going to come back. I didn't want him to, but he kind of surprised us at the end — at least he thought he surprised us. But I learned a lot from him."

Bears WR Devin Hester would love to see free-agent WR and fellow former Hurricane Santana Moss sign with the Bears, as quoted in the Chicago Tribune: "Anybody that can come in and help out the team, I'm down for it, and a guy like (Moss) can come in and really help out a lot. I'm hoping we can get him."

Free-agent DE Ray McDonald, quoted on sfgate.com on his desire to re-sign with the 49ers: "Before we left there was a good vibe amongst me and the coaching staff and the GM. They said they liked the way I played and want me back, so I'm just going off that. I want to be back here. I'm comfortable out here."

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli, praising LB Mike Vrabel, who announced his retirement on Monday after 14 seasons, as quoted by The Associated Press: "His genuine love for the game, his preparation, his work ethic, leadership and dependability are qualities you want from every player. He is a champion in every sense of the word and I'm confident all of these qualities will make him a great coach. I cannot overstate my respect for him as a person and a football player.

49ers WR Josh Morgan, discussing how the use of multiple-receiver sets in new head coach Jim Harbaugh's offense will give defenses more to think about, as quoted on sfgate.com: "You can't just focus on me and [WR Michael] Crabtree. You can't just focus on (tight end) Vernon (Davis) neither. It will make you be honest as a defense. It will make you play us straight up."

Free-agent ILB Paul Posluszny, quoted in the New York Post on the possibility of landing with the Giants: "I love Coach [Perry] Fewell and the type of defense that he ran when we were in Buffalo, we had a good relationship together." Added Posluszny: "Actually I have an uncle that lives in the New York area and he just sent me a text the other day saying he's read on the Internet that the Giants are a possible spot for me. … the Giants, along with several other teams, there are some interesting opportunities out there, that's for sure."

Ravens LB Jameel McClain, discussing how the Baltimore defense suits his style of play, as quoted on philly.com: "It was like I was born into it. Because it's the way I play the game. You look at a Raven player, it's the way people have looked at my game my whole career from high school to college. It was a big surprise to me, because I thought the way I played was — 'Man, like why am I so intense?' But then I come to the Ravens, and I'm like, 'Everybody's just like me. Everybody's mentality is the same.' So it's exciting." Added McClain: "You know there's a standard. You know you've got to represent yourself when you're around such talented people. And at the end of the day, you've got to understand that you're not there by mistake."

Monday, July 11, 2011

Bengals CB Adam Jones, who was arrested early Sunday morning in Cincinnati and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, quoted on lancastereaglegazette.com denying any wrongdoing: "The only thing I can do is be me and do what I'm supposed to do. I was not yelling at the police. I was not yell(ing) profanity at the police. And at the end of the day … I'm the bad guy."

Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald, discussing his contract status — Fitzgerald's current deal expires after the 2011 season — as quoted on startribune.com: "I try to put it like this. I have one more year left on my deal, my job is to try to help the Arizona Cardinals win a championship and that's my focus. I would like to play there. I've enjoyed my seven years there. If they want to keep me they're going to have the first option to keep me. If they don't, then obviously I have to find employment elsewhere."

Former Rams and Cardinals QB Kurt Warner thinks Cowboys QB Tony Romo has what it takes to lead his team to the Super Bowl, as quoted on USATODAY.com: "I believe Tony Romo's a top-10 quarterback in this league. I believe he has all the tangibles to be able take that team to the Super Bowl. I just think they need to figure out the pieces within the organization. You look at them — all kinds of talent — but they haven't been able to put everything together. And whether that's leadership, whether that's continuity, whether that's some changes that need to take place, I don't know what it is. But I don't believe Tony Romo's the problem. I think he's safe in Dallas for a long time to come, and I think he'll continue to succeed year in and year out because he's that kind of talent."

Giants LB Keith Bulluck, continuing the war of words between several members of his own team and Eagles RB LeSean McCoy, as quoted on philly.com: "I don't think that anyone on their team is irritated. I think it's something that he [McCoy] chose to do on his own. Twitter's an open format and you can get out there and say what you want. I bet (McCoy) wouldn't really have those same words for Osi (Umenyiora) if Osi was standing in front of him. I know he wouldn't have those same words. Internet gangster."

Eva Mendes Sarah Polley Aisha Tyler K. D. Aubert Sara Spraker

No comments:

Post a Comment